a personal preference

smart phones weren't smart enough when i was in high school to be much of a distraction.  if a cell phone rang in class, it was because a friend was trying to prank you.  my parents were the only other people who would have called me.  now of course, cell phones don't ring anyways. at least, not because of an incoming call.

in college, i truly learned the beauty of wireless internet.  now, i have little patience for slow web browsing.  this is my legal pad or sorts.  yet, im no wendell berry.  i enjoy electricity too much to follow through with any conviction or sacrifice.

im not much of a rule follower; nor much of a rebel.  my interpersonal relations with authority are just as jumbled as yours.  so this is not my exception to the rule.  but i think this moment allows for my honesty.

my behavior indicates that i think you are wrong; and i am right.  for years i supported my position in quiet giving little objection.  maybe it was right for you, and different for me.  most recently, i have grown either in my arrogance or in surprise of others.  

so, after classroom debate and meeting-adhd, i conclude with my own personal preference.  you are rude, if not entirely wrong, and i am better than both.  i am willing to set aside my right, for a moment, to be with you.  if the class bores, or the meeting crawls, i will not be brushing up on my knowledge of rugby in west africa.

why?  because i am more important.  people are more important.  i am not a coffee shop, and i do not think or feel as your justification can commit, as i have committed.  i understand my minority positioning.  but with my laptop closed, and my phone in my pocket, i can at least appear to care.  you aren't fooling anyone.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

a recent road trip

for sergeant

two death